Friday, March 9, 2012

03.08.12; Spring Training; Dodgers vs. Athletics


It's always nice to see a bit of offense, even if it's a spring training game. The Dodgers sent five batters to the plate in the first inning, netting two runs on two hits. The A's pitcher really struggled, walking three batters and giving up hits to two others. Dee Gordon showed off his speed when he stole a base and later scored from second on a Mark Ellis double.

    The fourth inning was even more impressive. Andre Ethier appeared to be unhampered by his surgically repaired knee. He drove in two runs on a double. Four runs were scored in that inning as eight Dodgers went to the plate.

     As far as score keeping goes, I find scoring the Fielder's Choice to be a challenge. The official scorekeeper makes that determination, so unless the announcers state a base hit of FC, you're not sure. I initially scored Mark Ellis' fourth inning at bat as a FC, changed it to 1B, the realized I was in error when the announcers stated that there were 2 hits for the inning. I guess it really doesn't matter, but a messy scorecard can really make things difficult. If I had kept score in the fifth inning and Mark Ellis came up to bat, I would have had little room to record his plate appearance.

     As usual, I went to bed early and called it a night after the fourth inning.

No comments:

Post a Comment